Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:16:14 -0500
From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Ulysses left us Monday morning at 6:35.  I miss him terribly and I had so
hoped he'd survive but I know he is no longer suffering and for that I'm
grateful.  There is so much about Ulysses care that I had not told anyone
and unless they actually have been through it, they might not truly
understand what all is involved when nursing a critical little one.  I
have been so focused on the ailing that the house and any chores that could
wait, were put on hold.  I know the chores will be there to do later, but
my little one might not be so they become the priority.  When I focus on an
ailing ferret, I use all my energies for that particular little one to the
point of exhaustion and in some cases sickness in myself.  Every waking
moment is filled with thoughts of that particular ferret and sleeping is
almost non-existent other than a troubled cat nap here and there.  During
the past 8 weeks few of the ferrets asked me to play and they themselves
were more sullen.  When I needed a hug there was always one-two-three
around to lovingly accommodate my urge.

Ulysses did not move.  Occasionally when he had to go to the bathroom he
would whimper and wiggle and then I'd know to put him on the floor on his
belly where he would slowly swim a few inches then go potty.  Other times
he would potty without letting me know so I checked him frequently and
cleaned him as needed.  The tiny infant diapers worked well to keep him
dry.  I laid him in one leaving it open and it absorbed the moisture.  Only
problem was that the other ferrets kept stealing them.

I would carry Ulysses around with me as I did chores and when I laid him
down I turned him several times to prevent bedsores.  I constantly checked
on him.  His little body was stiff much of the time.  His legs swelled.
His sinus's were so clogged he breathed out of his mouth with his little
nose tilted up.  Saliva formed and dripped out of his mouth as open mouth
breathing is not normal for a ferret.  He didn't eat on his own.  I syringe
fed him, as little or as much as he'd willingly take.  Ulysses kept trying
and so did I.  This past weekend I was able to get his sinus's unclogged
but then I heard a rattle in his chest.  Perhaps the mucus drained down
into his lungs, I don't know.  Ulysses has been on antibiotics for weeks
hoping to prevent bacterial pneumonia if he aspirated recipe.  I contacted
Larry (our vet) and he instructed me to keep him comfortable which I had
been doing and continued to do.

Did I keep Ulysses with me too long?  Some may think so.  Each one of us
must make these decisions based on the information we have and what the
ferret tells us.  I kept Ulysses as long as he was willing to try and he
tried until his body could not go on.  Not knowing what the outcome would
be and knowing Ulysses did have a chance even though it was slim, I had to
do whatever I could to help him overcome his battle.  Unfortunately, we
lost.

As I said, he is no longer in pain....

Special thanks to all who have provided support, kind words, and
understanding friendship through our ordeal.  I ask but one favor from
everyone, in memory of Krystal, Butterscotch, and Ulysses, please give
your little ones an extra hug today.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services