From:
Michele Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 00:04:33 -0500
Dooks to all,

I just wanted to say "BRAVO" to Karen, among others, on the clarity and
thoughtfulness used in the current thread of "are ferrets special or more
difficult to care for?" It is refreshing to see such overall unity in the
fact that, although ferrets require different care, it is no more
difficult, or requires no less commitment, than any other companion animal.
The shelter guidelines are just that, personal guidelines put together by
individuals who care to take in unwanted, abandoned, and sick ferrets.
Some may need more care than others, some can be adopted out without much
ado.  Some shelter operators have seen much heartache come through their
doors, and it is the personal opinion of each and every one as to who would
be appropriate to adopt an abused, or neglected, or older, ailing ferret.
These are why guidelines are set in the first place, to hopefully place
these ferrets in APPROPRIATE homes.  They are not hard and fast set rules,
and are not meant to scrutinize or offend anyones particular budget or
lifestyle.  Sometimes, on these lists, shelters will list what the ideal
situation would be like, and people who are new to owning ferrets or are
considering a ferret may think, whoa...these are difficult little critters
to take care of.  Remember, shelters tend to get the worst...the sick ones
whose owners dump them because they can't afford them anymore, or the sick
ones who are ill simply due to neglect.  But your average pack of ferrets
is really no harder to care for than any other pet, fresh food, water,
litter changes...most of all just love, and attention....which any pet
deserves, or they just become "a chore".  Sometimes seeing all of these
unwanted fuzzies can get you down, then the work does become hard.....the
next time, instead of visiting the cute babies at the pet store when you
KNOW you can't have another one....stop by a shelter, give the shelter Moms
and Dads a break, play with those kids...and hope that they DO go to a
home.....because any home that is screened, (which ALL reputable shelters
do anyway) absolutely IS better than staying in that shelter.

BTW, I really should get over to a cat board, because I think my cat is the
WORST when it comes to care....he trashes the house, pees on furniture,
eats the ferret food, beats up the dog, etc.  etc.  blah blah blah.....
now don't you think I'd get a big ole' slam from cat people if I did that?
<GGGG>

Hug your weasels....Michele & the 8-iz-enuff gang