From:
Robert Dejournett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:18:18 -0500
Hi all.

I've spent the better part of today scrambling to find help for my Daisy.
She has had two surguries for adrenal disease and has shown hair loss in
the posteral dorsal area, tail, and head.  She has just recently shown
vulva swelling with some discharge, looking like white blood cells, a
whitish goo.  She is skinny, losing weight, but still is mobile.  She is
5 years old.  The previous two surguries have not made a dent in her
condition, the last one was about 2-3 mo ago for removal of most of the
R adrenal.

I have found Lupron, a GnRH agonist, as well as other GnRH agonists (there
are many) are good candidates for treatment of this disease.  In addition,
I found this to be clinically similiar to PMS, and Endometriosis, which is
a condition in which the glands and connective tissue of the uterus develop
outside the uterus, accumulating tissue and blood.

I searched for herb therapies that treated symptoms of these two diseases;
with particular emphasis on hormonal balance.  From what I understand of
the GnRH (gonadaltropin releasing hormone) -> LH/FSH (luteinizing hormone/
follicle stimulating hormone) -> testosterone -> estrogen cascade,
inhibition of GnRH receptor will block this cascade.  Anything that
antagonizes this receptor can be potentially useful in treatment.
Likewise for anything that lowers estrogen levels.  (I readily admit my
knowledge is spotty and superficial

So what I want to know is has anyone had effective treatment of adrenal
disease with herbal medication?  From my searchs, I have found the
following can be potentially useful.  (big disclaimer, I have no idea what
these will do and don't recommend using them.  For all I know they could
kill your ferret).

1. Black Cohosh (Cimicifuga Racemosa)
2. Shi Quan Da Bu Tang (SQT)
3. Dong Quoi (Angelica Sinesis)
4. Vitex or Chasteberry (Vitex Agnus-castus)

Most of these were found at drkoop.com.  From what I can find in medical
literature, Cimicifuga racemosa is used to relieve hot flashes.  It was
found to have the following three different chemicals which did three
different things: Not ligants for estrogen receptor (ER), but supressed LH
release after chronic treatment, ligants for ER, no effect on LH release,
ligants for ER and effect on LH release.  (in published scientific
literature)

SQT was a mix of 10 chinese herbs which had a variety of effects, all to
help cancer patients.  Such effects included boosting the immune system,
interleukin production, potentiating chemotheraputic agents, inhibit
malignacy, ameliorate and/or perventing adverse toxicities of anticancer
drugs.  (in published scientific literature)

Dong Quoi is an ingredient in SQT, and is supposed to regulate hormone
production and reduce hot flashes.  (Drkoop.com)

Vitex was quoted as regulating progesterone production, similiar to Dong
Quoi.  There is a caution not to use this if pregnant (usually not a
problem with fuzzies).

So, any ideas about real alternatives to GnRH agonists?

Update: I have put her on herbal therapy for five days, using black kohosh
and dong quoi, 2x daily, 50 mg of dong quoi and 35 mcl black kohosh, about
1/10 human dosage.  There has been no effect, but she seems more energetic.
I was recommended by my vet to not use kitten milk replacement but instead
feline A/D (Hills) mixed with Ensure.  Also he recommended Amoxycillian
10-15 mg 2x daily for the vaginal dischage.  Ultrasound revealed a
suspicious R adrenal, about 8mm in size.  I am going to try Lupron Depot 2
mg / 4 months, then surgury (probably after the drug).  The vet said the
tumor will continue to grow regardless of the drug.  I'm not sure if this
is true, i hope not, but really can't say either way.  She's doing better
than previously (more energy) but I still feed her 2x or 3x daily.  She
seems to still be able to take hard kibble.

Rob

   Robert Dejournett             [log in to unmask]
   Graduate Student
   Graduate School of Biomedical Science
   University of Texas Houston