From:
Charissa Ebersole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:25:42 PDT
Hello Fellow Fuzzy-lovers,
I've read about the risk of vaccine reaction in ferrets.  That's why we
separated the rabies and distemper vaccines by at least a couple of weeks.
I'm glad we did, because our youngest, Arwin, a silver Path Valley Farms
spayed-female, scared us.  She reacted to her distemper booster, so quickly
and so systemically that I thought we'd loose her.  Within seconds of the
shot, she started vomiting and had diarrhea.  Our vet moved quickly.  She
gave her Benadryl and solu-medrol injections.  Even so, Arwin went into a
animal oxygen hut because she became lethargic, pale, and limp.

I tell you!!  The pediatric critical care nurse in me wanted to reach for
the intubation box.  Thankfully, she revived without having to be intubated.
I asked our vet what we should do when she's due for a booster again.  She
said that we could pre-medicate for a week with oral Benadryl.

What experiences have you had with boosters after a vaccine reaction?  Is
the oral Benadryl enough?  Our vet is open to suggestions.

On a lighter note, check-out the ferret pages on our website
http://toledolink.com/~jubilatores/ferret.html
Each of our fuzzies, Belle, Snoopy, and Arwin, have a page.  The website is
underconstruction.  We'll be adding ferret links.

Charissa Ebersole
Toledo, OH 43606

http://toledolink.com/~jubilatores/
email:  [log in to unmask]