From:
Matthew Colmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:23:54 CDT
Since we are on the topic of hairballs...
Has anyone every had their ferret cough up a hairball (the actual term
should be a hair log)?  On a yearly basis, Farley has cough up a log
anywhere from an inch to two inches long.  Usually this occurs around
shedding season.  It is rather difficult watching him but eventually he
coughs it up.  I have not know any other ferret to do the same.  None of
my others have had that problem.

Since the first episode almost 4 yrs ago, I have been giving the gang a
daily does of laxatone (or Petromalt.  Any kind of cat hairball treatment
can be used).  I even convinced a local shelter to give her residents daily
doses since Farley's first episode.  It was her and my previous vet's first
knowledge of a ferret coughing up a hair log.  Of course this does not mean
every ferret will have this kind of success.  But a daily does of some kind
of malt-based laxative should help to alleviate future blockages.

Matt and the gang of 4:  Farley, Bailey, Osborn, Domino