From:
Michel McDermott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:02:59 -0500
Hi all.  Been out of town for a week, just catching up on my e-mails.

I sincerely hope that no one feels that I meant that Mark in CA "got what
he deserved".  No one deserves to be put in that situation.

What I meant to say was - if a person in CA has ferrets, they're breaking
the law.  We all know that law is unjust and downright silly, but it's
still the law.  Until we can get it changed.  Owner, shelter, breeder -
if ferrets are involved, it's illegal.

Personally, I feel that keeping ferrets in CA is just asking for trouble.
Even if you keep them inside all the time, chances are you talk about them
with friends or family.  Who among us can NOT say anything about our
fuzzies?  Walls have ears, and sometimes they hear more than we expect
them to.

Has anyone in a state neighboring CA thought of having a team relay
shelter?  Someone in CA to find the ferrets, someone in another state to
shelter them.  The ferrets would be safe, people would helping them.

A few years ago, there was a group of French schoolchildren who were taking
part in a mutual family stay.  They were only here for about two weeks, but
luckily I was able to take the morning off of work and take my 5 ferrets
and a bottle of ferretone down to the school.  Good thing I took all of
them, since there were 5 tables.  One table for each ferret.

I found myself in the oh-so-lucky position of teaching children something
about a pet they normally wouldn't have seen at home - and to teach them
in their own language.  Unfortunately, chances like that don't happen too
often.

I saw two ferrets at PetCo tonight that were so dark, the only way to
describe them was black.  But they did have some lighter areas.