From:
Meesh Meesh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:50:53 PDT
Hi everyone,
I recently had an email that made me aware that I might inadvertently be
giving people the wrong impression about Ohio State's University Faculty.
The two vets I have seen recently are not vets working small animal
practice at Ohio State.  The reasons I had not gone to OSU for their
surgery were many and personal.  One reason I had not been back to OSU was
that ferrets were only recently legalized in Franklin county (where OSU is
situated) and I had been told that up until recently, all ferrets were
being seen outside at local vets.  One reason I went where I did was that I
was looking for experience and expertise.  There are other reasons but none
relates to surgical competency and I am in fact going to speak to a surgeon
at OSU shortly.  I do not want anyone in the community doubting the
surgical abilities of OSU Faculty.  From what I understand, their surgeons
are some of the best in the world.  I just wanted to make it clear that
these vets I have had trouble with are not from OSU.  Though, I would like
to point out that most of the progressive research is being done outside of
academic facilities and that typically one goes to a university facility
with a referral from a vet who feels it necessary to have an expert consult
on the case.  Vets don't usually refer adrenal surgeries or insulinomas and
hence, most of these surgeries are being done by private practicioners.

I hope this clears up any confusion I may have inadvertently contributed
to.

Michaela Maurice
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ohio State University