From:
Jerusalem Biblical Zoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:03:57 +0200
Hi All - Wanted to respond to the question that Meesh Meesh put out.  We
here in Israel have the same problem here with very few vets knowing
anything about ferrets.  Several years ago, I started giving lectures
to 3rd year vet students at the vet school, armed with hand outs and
references to online sources of information.  Also, I contacted the local
small animal veterinary association and volunteered to give a talk during
one of their meetings.  It was great, I brought 4 ferrets and a great time
was had by all.  It also gave me a chance to see just who was interested
and who was comfortable in handling these strange wigglers for future
reference to fuzzy owners.  It was amazing that the ones that really got
into the lecture are the ones now anxious to get more experience.  Also the
zoo itself allows me to print out information to send to any vet interested
in receiving it.  Right now the packet is about 50 pages or so.  (Thanks
to my director Shai Doron!  - He also rescued a fuzzy on the street by his
house and was soooo proud to present him to me in a carton - still have
the silly fert!).  All in all, we are building a cadre of vets that are
building up a good bit of knowledge - sure some is strictly theoretical,
but at least they know more than they did.  My whole point is, contact vet
associations and vet schools and ask if you can do a presentation.  It can
help and it sure can't hurt!

Take care,
Beverly Burge
Tisch Family Zoological Gardens in Jerusalem
Section Head - Hospital/Quarantine Unit
Registrar