From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 19:20:28 -0400
I did something really stupid today - no flames please I already feel bad
enough.  I had the fuzzies out on their harnesses.  Since Boris was ill
last week and it was barely drizzling it was to be a short let'em drag
their leashes around the house/bushes for just a few minutes (Giesela
simply lives to go outside - let me tell you having to walk her EVERYDAY
can get to be a drag).  Well Giesela has an incredibly high prey drive.  A
chipmunk ran into the drainpipe.  Giesela was trying to get into the
drainpipe but its slightly flattened by the lawnmower and her harness would
catch on the top.  The pipe is at an angle and the chippie was running up
and down in it scratching, sliding and squeaking.  Giesela would
alternately stick her head in the pipe and back out and try to find another
way in.  Well she stuck her head in and the chippie must have been too
close because all of the sudden I sensed that maybe she had got it.  I
pulled her back and sure enough she had it by the throat.  I shook her and
screamed, dragged her around the ground by her leash - she wasn't letting
go - I tried to pry her jaws off - No Way!  Amazingly strong jaws - I was
afraid I'd break her jaw so I quit.  At that point with her totally
dangling from the leash and the chippie dangling from her mouth I had to
walk the front of the house and turned the hose on - after I doused her for
about half a minute she finally let go.  Too late - it was dead.  Now I
feed squirrels and chippie's and birds - no squirrel baffles - I love em
all.  To make it worse it she had nipples.  God I feel like sh**.  I
figured there's no way she'll get it but will enjoy trying.  Wrong.  She's
caught two chippie's twice before in entirely different circumstances but
both got easily away unharmed - but I've learned something from these 3
experiences.  Even when a chipmunk is actually in a safe place and the
ferret can't get at them - the chipmunk will probably try to make a break
for it.  I don't know of anyone else can learn from this but I hope so.
Poor Giesela - walks yes - but no more chipmunk games for her!

Mary, Boris and Giesela and Booker the dog