From:
Derek & Amy Flemming - Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 01:42:45 -0400
While I have already posted this message to other lists (sorry if you have
read it) I feel I need to post it to this one.

Why should you NOT breed your *pet* jill?

You put her life at risk.

"How?" you might ask?

1. Jills that come into estrus (heat) are exposed to vaginal and uterine
infections.  Since the jill's vulva is so enlarged and open, infection is
a very common problem.

What will an infection do?  The uterus can become filled with puss (this
infliction is called pyometra) and it becomes very tender and sore.
Uterine infections in ferrets do not display themselves until they have
reached the critical point.  The jill needs to be spayed ASAP or she
*will* loose her life.  A vaginal infection if left untreated may cause
deformations in the kits or even kill them or the jill.  Whole jills can
also suffer from ovarian cysts as well.

2. Jills that stay in (full) estrus for a long time (three weeks or
longer) are prone to estrogen induced anemia (aplastic anemia).

What is estrogen induced anemia?  This is when the bone marrow is
suppressed and the ferret becomes anemic due to the loss of red blood
cells.  In most cases, the anemia is not detected until it is too late.
There is little hope for a jill with estrogen induced anemia - blood
transfusions are necessary and only work a very low part of the time.

3. Birth can kill your jill.

Kits line up for the birth canal - from one uterine horn and then the other
(they are supposed take turns).  Sometimes, though, they are all balled up
in the birth canal and this will kill all of the kits if not attended to
ASAP.  A cesarean section may need to be preformed.  If ignored the jill
*will* die.

Why else should you NOT breed your *pet* jill?

Breeding and pregnancy are very stressful for a jill.  Her personality will
change - she will become very sweet or very aggressive and protective.  She
*may* retain these changes after her kits are weaned.  She *may* not like
her "prior-to-kits" ferret friends.  She *may* not like you as much.
Lactating jills are protective of their kits.  Even the most loving jill
will attack to protect the kits.

When lactating, the jill may "lose" milk and not be able to nurse her kits.
She may develop mastitis and the infection may kill her or the kits or she
may have to have a mammary gland (breast) removed.  She may have the kits
and reject them - or eat them all.

The best thing you can do for your pet is spay her.  If she is in estrus
take her to your vet's to be given a HCG (human chronic gonadotropin) or
cysorelin injection to take her out of estrus.  After she has come out of
estrus have her spayed.  I say to have her taken out prior to the spay
because she *may* have the estrogen induced anemia process started.
Letting her naturally come out of estrus will help balance her system and
will not be quite a shock to it.

She is your pet - does she deserve to have her life put in jeopardy?  Do
you love her enough *not* to put her life in jeopardy?  Owning and caring
for an animal is a great responsibility.  Breeding your pet is not
responsible.  Putting your ferret's life in jeopardy is *not* being a
responsible owner.

All in all, I guess I am trying to say - please don't breed your pet!
Please leave ferret breeding to the people that have the knowledge about
it.  If you want your child to learn "about the miracle of life" then rent
the Nova video about human birth!  Instead of your pet teaching about life
by reproducing, have your pet teach your child life's lessons -
responsibility, unconditional love, the joy of life (in regards to living
it to the fullest), respect, compassion, and (unfortunately and eventually)
the pain and healing of death.

Amy Flemming

Flemming Farms - Michigan, USA
Breeding for Quality Ferrets
American, Australian, German, and New Zealand bloodlines
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521

Weasel Watchers Ferret Rescue - Michigan, USA
Helping Needy Weasels
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/petsburgh/zoo/2690

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism"