From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:28:07 -0400
After reading the list for the past three years or so and lurking most of
that time, I'm now in a situation where I need your help!

One of my six babies, Alfalfa, had surgery last Friday afternoon to remove
a large adrenal tumor.  He was doing well right after the surgery - he
came around and was more active than expected on Friday evening.  But by
Saturday morning he wasn't eating yet, and was less active.  As of this
morning (Monday) he is on fluids and antibiotics and has what the vet tech
called "non contagious green slime." Whether that means ECE or not, I don't
know, since she had no idea what I meant by ECE, and she said it was non
contagious.  I can't get in touch with the vet who did the surgery (and who
is the only ferret knowledgeable vet there), as he's in surgery most of the
day, and all I can do at this point is wait until he makes his rounds later
this afternoon and does a full hospital report.  I couldn't get a sense
from this vet tech as to whether he'd deteriorated since yesterday or not.
I guess this is the price I pay for going to a large hospital, no personal
service, and the person I'm talking to doesn't know or care about my baby!

Al is approx. 4.5 years old, and I know ECE at his age, right after
surgery, couldn't be good.  I'm going to visit him this evening after
work and I'll find out more about his condition then.  I'm wondering if I
should make him some duck soup, or chicken gravy, or what do you experts
recommend?  I want to get him eating ASAP.  I don't have the recipes for
either one, so if you could also point me to them I'd be most grateful.  A
personal email to either of the addresses below (preferably both) would be
much appreciated

Thank you so much for your help, and for your good wishes for my little
guy!

Nancy Farlow