From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:03:19 EDT
Date:    Mon, 14 Jun 1999 20:24:06 +1200
From:    Sam <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Sales gimmicks

>SNIP<
>BIG - should these adverts be put aside until the next advertising issue?
>(Any idea just when it's due?)  That is, if the posts are even real - which
>can't be known for sure, as the wooden leg post apparently proves.  If they
>aren't what happens to the people who are trusting enough to send in money?

>Sam<

Sam and others,

I am sure the person who posted the wooden leg story, and the posts asking
for money for instructions to make / properly use / purchase his products
knows that soliciting funds for products over the internet without actually
sending the products to the consumers is a Federal crime -- infact, if
the Post Office is used to mail the information or products out, it
might constitute Federal crimes under several different governmental
jurisdictions.  That being the case, I am sure he or his organization are
making regular efforts to fill any and all orders they receive and ship
them out on a timely basis.

It is also important to remember that selling bogus products or
information -- like the "Solar Powered Clothes Dryer" for only $39.95
a few years ago (which turned out to be a clothes line and clothes pins
worth less than $5) -- is considered mail fraud.  Your local Post Office
will be more than happy to look into any complaints or concerns you might
have about anything you order online that you receive through the mail.
The old Roman warning "caveat emptor" or let the buyer beware is even more
appropriate today than it was 2,000 years ago.  At least then, the buyer
was able to handle the product and inspect it before turning over his/her
hard earned money (which explains why I seldom buy mail order).

Having said that, I am sure that any regular FML poster would take great
pains to make sure that the products they offer for sale through the FML
are described accurately, and that the FML consumer is totally satisfied
with the product, and would cheerfully refund any funds to a dissatisfied
customer.

Scott