From:
"Gregory O. Harp" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1992 15:44:10 -0500
reducing the digging noise, the best suggestion I can make is to get a
child/pet security gate instead of a piece of cardboard.

I got some for about $20 a piece.  They're 24" tall and expand up to
42" wide, which is low enough to step over but high enough to prevent
my furballs from climbing over.  Since my youngest is a talented and
determined climber I cut some pieces of plexiglass to slip into the
frames since the normal fence might be climbable.  I left the fence in
behind it so they could see it (to prevent them from crashing into it
like birds often do with large windows).

Soon after I added the plexiglass one of my monsters started digging
at the carpet in front of the gate, so I used the scrap strips of
plexiglass to cover the carpet.

In the six months I've owned ferrets I haven't had an "escape" using
these gates.  I recommend them.  The brand I got was "Gerry" and I
felt they were more "ferret proof" than the plastic models.  I didn't
worry about the plastic fences since I covered them with plexiglass.
The same company makes a larger gate, 32" tall and up to 50" wide,
with a metal fence, but that fence has slightly larger holes.

Anyway, the digging noise should be less with plexiglass than with
cardboard, and mine lost interest in digging the plexiglass rather
quickly.

On another note, since someone mentioned San Antonio's anti-ferret
movement, I though I'd inquire about Austin's policies.  I'm planning
on moving there next summer, and I don't intend to leave my girls
behind...
--
  "I think I've reached that point / Where every word that you write /
  Of every blood dark sea / And every soul black night / And every dream