From:
"Russel E. Hoffman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:29:42 -0400
I am a newcomer to this list and I am so appreciative to have it as a
resource after so many years of living with my ferrets in a vacuum.  I am
wondering if any of you have experienced this problem:

Walt is my surviving ferret.  He is a large, 6-year-old silvermitt with a
very pleasant disposition.  His life-long companion, Bertha, died about a
year ago at the ripe old age of 8.5.  Recently, Walt has started to poop a
lot and all over.  His poops are normal other than their frequency and
their inappropriate placement, they are usually accompanied by urine as is
normal, and he does not seem to be straining at all.  Could this be simply
a loss of function control as often happens in older bipeds?  Could this
be a behavioral reaction to his lonliness and boredom after losing Bertha?
Any suggestions or similar experiences?

I am looking into finding him some company, possibly fostering ferrets
from shelters since I can't take on the full responsibility and life-long
commitment for another critter at this time.  If anyone in the New York
City area is interested in a play-date with Walt, please let me know!

Thanks!

- Russell Hoffman, Keeper of the Walt