From:
Stephanie Rusk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:14:38 PDT
Hey everyone, Sorry for posting another message.  Just wanted to share my
latest story in the search for ferret friendly rental properties.

I called the landlady of a townhouse and got some info etc, told her I
would talk to hubby about it and give her a call back.  I called her back
and the following ensued:

Stephanie: "Would you have any concerns if we have 2 small, descented,
neutered ferrets that live in a cage?  They are litterbox trained and are
quiet pets?  We would be willing to pay a pet deposit if that is helpful"

Landlady: "No, it shouldn't be a problem...umm are they destructive?"

Stephanie: (All I heard was 'are they distressed?') "Distressed?"

Landlady: "Do they tear up things?"

Stephanie: "Oh, No, they pretty much stay in their cage and we take them
out to hold them.  They are like a small cat (thinking in my head -'oh
crap, cat bad rep.  of clawing furniture..think quick'!)  But they don't
scratch things or tear up...they are in the cage."

Landlady: "As far as I know that would be ok, I will ask my husband to make
sure"

Stephanie: (thinking: No they don't tear up things, they just hide things
like socks and plastic bags so they will have a stockpile for the year
2000) "Let me know if you would like to meet one of them so you will know
what you are dealing with"

Ok, so I hope I didn't blow it.  I didn't even bring up the iguana..or
the fish..thank God I got rid of the frogs and newts.  It's like a mobile
rainforest.  All I need is a cute pet elephant that I keep chained to a
post and have litter trained.  I felt horrible saying i keep them caged..I
think I even said "like a hamster"...yuk.  The reality is, they are in the
cage while I am not there, and out for supervised play the rest of the time.

This approach could prove awful if I ever get a ferret owning landlord
that loves free-roam ferrets and here I am telling him I cage them like
hamsters!!  I should have added that I punch their noses if they bite and
don't feed them for a day if they poop on the floor!  Oh and they eat
tender vittles and live in cedar chips!  (sarcasm)

oh well, we will see what she says...thanks again for all the advice.
I am testing it carefully,

Stephanie, Chimi & Pepe (We don't have to run in a wheel and pack seed
in our cheeks do we?)