Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 19:25:34 EDT
From:
Hello everyone,

Sorry this has taken a little while to get to you.  I had a 20 hr. day
yesterday and since I was out of the office all day, I had a few things
to take care of before I could get to a report on our hearing for AB 854.

The Senate Natural Resources Committee (SNR) met at 9:30 A.M.  yesterday.
Our bill was scheduled #11 (simply in file order) but unfortunately there
was a hearing room shortage and Senator Hayden, Chair of SNR, recessed the
hearings at 1:30 P.M.  just as we were about to be heard!  The new hearing
wouldn't begin again until 6:00 P.M.  that evening so another committee
could convene in the meantime.  It was very unfortunate for those of us
that traveled so far to see it or testify.

Thankfully Debby G. of Capitol City Ferret Club offered us refuge in her
air conditioned home (some very dedicated members of the Golden State
Ferret Society and Ferrets Anonymous also came to the hearing)!

The hearing reconvened at 6:00 but the room still hadn't vacated to we
moved to a new location.  The chairman of SNR, Senator Hayden, wanted to be
present for AB 854 testimony but he was in another committee at that time,
so even though we were to go next we waited until about 7:00 or so before
AB 854 was heard.

I'm not going to go into all of the details because I'm still pretty zoned
as you can probably tell from the rambling, but the upshot is that Senator
Alpert asked that language be added that ferret owners be given 6 months
after Jan.  1, 2000 to have their animals vet certified (as vaccinated and
spayed & neutered).  This must be done then by July 1, 2000 should our bill
pass the next committee, the full Senate, and the Governor-- still a long
way to go!

Language that makes the study look at the effect of the ferret on the
environment and one people IN THE CONTEXT OF OTHER DOMESTICATED animals was
added to ensure that ferrets are evaluated fairly.

The sentiment was heavily in favor of this bill and our final vote in this
nine member committee was 8-1.  Senator Johnston was absent and did not
vote.  As soon as I have the time, I'll let you know the details the next
committee, Senate Appropriations, and give you the voting history etc. of
each member.

If you all recall, our bill was killed in the next committee because it did
not have a hearing so we are planning our next mailing to take place on
August 1st.  This mailing will go to supporters in most of the remaining
Senate Districts and will be our biggest mailing yet, almost twice the size
of previous mailings.

If you live within an hour of the Woodside/Redwood City area and can help
me with a mailing on August 1st, please let me know.  I plan to have
between 12-20 people here around 10:00 or so to we can get it done quickly.
It's easy if lots of folks help out!  Please consider pitching in.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization