Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 09:54:29 -0500
From:
Millie Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Sam says:
>So, a first time ferret owner will look at the ferret kits in the store,
>go by what the store people tell them, and unfortunately many won't go past
>that point.  Some will get involved in ferret shows, see ferret-related
>goings-on etc because their attention is caught now that they have that
>interest.  *Then* they will find out about shelters and private breeders.
>However, without that initial pet store ferret, they'd never have had that
>interest, never have seen that ferrets could be good pets, and never have
>attended something where ferret shelters are shown and publicized.

Well, I agree.  That is exactly how I got started.  And I will say it was
the temperment of my little Marshall Farms gal who got me going.  The first
two, Easy Off and Ammonia, came from a petstore and then I got Cascade from
a shelter, but she was an MF too.  Those three are my mild little darlings
and always always get along with each other.  From there I have shelter
kids and private breeders, none are MF's.  Its taken me into a new world of
shows and clubs and friends on this FML.  It just wouldn't have happened if
not for the first two, I would NOT have gone looking for ferrets by
themselves.

Bravo Sam for realizing there is more than one purpose for things in this
world - that as we learn we can graduate to the next step.  Now my choices
are shelters and breeders but thank goodness for MF/petstores, that is good
petstores that treat ferrets right.

Cath, per your question on whether the ferrets pine, indeed they do.  I
babysat twice for David who has two marvelous little boys.  One was out
there willing to play with the others but one was sad and withdrawn and
not a real part for a couple of days = didn't effect him as bad the second
stay, but no question he wasn't himself for those first few days.  I think
the 2nd stay was easier as he had been here before - first time he went
back to his carrier and stayed in it a lot (left it down so he could) but
even so, he still pined for his owner both times.  I just gave him extra
cuddling and carried him around with me a lot til he was roughhousing like
the rest.

For the flea problem.  As an emergency til you can get the Advantage or
Front Line, the product Adams (blue bottle with red writing) was
recommended and our shelter in this area sprays all new ferrets he picks
up with it.  It is one of the best sprays out.  I have used it and I first
spray it in my hands and then wipe the ferret.  But as soon as possible, I
get back with the Front Line.  Mine stay outside a lot, 3 to 4 hours a day
til the weather gets too too hot, so we are exposed.

And great posting, all you who stand up and say money doesn't count, its
the heart.  Too many things out there are geared for those with money, we
don't enjoy the basics anymore.  Big example, here in Dallas, they just
voted in building a new sports arena, we haven't paid for the last one
yet, they want less general admission tickets and more of the expensive
box seats and private boxes - cost of ALL tickets going up up up.  This is
where the circus is held when it comes to town, the Holiday on Ice, and
other stuff families with kids likes to attend putting the good clean fun
out of the pocket range of many families.  I don't feel making ferrets more
expensive is going to help anyone - instead, it will make owning a ferret a
status symbol like some pure bred dogs - doesn't mean they make the pet a
part of the family but gives some the right to say they own a such and
such.

WEll, its off to the potty cleaning duty, now if I had money, would I
have to.........oh I guess I would.  But if I didn't have money, would
it mean I wouldn't have to........hummmmmmm I guess I would.  Doesn't
make a difference, does it.

Millie and her deep thinkin, mind boggling, questioning Noble Cleaning
Crew
Easy Off:  the most perfect ferret in the whole wide world
Ammonia:  Easy Off turned the Coke over Grandma, I saw her, and she
walked in it and she licked it and........no I didn't!!
Cascade:  Dizzy, boy, lets have a meaningful conversation, lets talk
about Marshal Farms, what do you think of us MF's say beauty wise?
Ajax:  DA, I wants a beauty mark, can'st I have one, I hadst de big "O"
and I stills can takes on 2 MF's with dree paws tied behinds my backs.
Dizzy:  Ajax, there are more things to life than just wrestle wrestle
wres.....  now that you mention it, help me get away from Cascade
Joy:  Have you ever tried the word, "NO" to Cascade, just a simple NO.
Prell:  Is that why you are always hanging around Dizzy, Joy, so YOU
can be the one to tell her No.
Frebreze:  Personally, I can take you all on, quit the mush and get down
to itty grittying.  Lets play, I don't care what you are.
Grandma:  6 females, 6, how did this happen to a good kid like me.