From:
christine asento <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 15:36:19 -0700
Hi.
I have a 5 year old male ferret and I was hoping that someone might
recognize what's going on with him.

Codo is getting old I know, but a few months ago he began losing weight.  I
gave him vitamin supplements and they didn't seem to help.  I switched him
to a different brand of food and within days he began to gain weight back
and became his normal ferret self.  (during his thin period he lost all his
tail hair and a lot of hair from his back half).  So he was doing great on
the new food, the hair's not growing back, but even balding he's adorable.
(The hair loss is only around his hips, not all the way up his back.  And
he's always had thin hair, especially on his tail.)

About 3 weeks ago he started vomiting.  It's mostly food with clear saliva.
He would get sick, and right after he feels fine.  He would be sick up to 3
or 4 times a day, then be fine for a couple days, then be sick again.  I
notice him being sick more often at night, but that may be because I'm not
always here during the day.  I thought that the food may be too rich for
him so I mixed it half&half with the old food.  He still got sick.  I'm at
school so I couldn't take him to my usual vet.  The vet I've seen here
suggested blood tests and said that this sort of thing was fairly common in
old ferrets and suggested adrenal problems.  The blood tests showed nothing
unusual.  I'm taking him in for X-rays as soon as they can fit us in.  He
has slightly swollen glands in his neck, and no masses can be felt in his
abdomen.  When he is not actually vomiting he is active, playful and seems
healthy.

I've spoken to my vet from home and a few other people.  Some think it may
be the adrenals, but others think that some other things are going on at
the same time.  The person I'm taking him to see next seems to be really
focused on him having the adrenal problems.  But I don't know how many old
guys they've seen and really don't want them to overlook possibilities
because of unfamiliarity.  No Vet has ever told me that vomiting is so
uncommon and that hair loss like this can be indicative of greater
problems, so I've grown wary of vets around here and their knowledge of
ferrets.  Also being a student I'm a little pressed for cash.  I'm willing
to pay for tests done for him, but costly tests that prove nothing are hard
on us.  Any suggestions about what this may be, if it is common, and how to
help him feel better would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris & Codo