From:
Pam VanOverloop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:22:28 EDT
An adult albino ferret was literally "dropped off" at a local pet shop
recently, filthy and scared.  Unfortunately, soon after his arrival he bit an
employee.  Given the severity of the bite, and his unknown vaccination
history, Animal Control was called and the bite reported.  The store was
simply instructed to quarantine, then vaccinate, the ferret - because the
rabies law in that county protecting cats, dogs, AND FERRETS was already in
place.

Well, during his quarantine he managed to "nail" almost every one who came
in contact with him.  The store employees were afraid of him, there wasn't
much chance they would be able to sell him, and they weren't happy with the
fact that the rabies vaccination that the county required had to be done by
a vet...and would therefore cost them more than they wanted to spend on
this little guy.  So, after the quarantine period was up they gave him to
me (a frequent customer and known ferret lover) for "free" - provided I
would get the vaccination done ASAP.

That very day I took him to a vet for a thorough checkup and the rabies
vaccination.  (While I was there the vet suggested filing the canines or
defanging!  Yes, this was a vet from the STAR list...yikes!)  I made a copy
of the vet certificate for the store, they faxed it to the Health Department.
 I received an official looking letter this week from the Warren County
Combined Health District, Lebanon Ohio  re: Quarantine Release of White
Ferrett (yes, that's how they spelled it <g>).  It's refreshing to know that
sometimes the "system" really does work.  Included with the letter was a copy
of their newsletter.  One of the articles listed Rabies Prevention Tips,
which included common sense safety precautions concerning pets and wildlife.

It was great to see one of the tips: "Make sure pets (dogs, cats, ferrets)
are vaccinated against rabies."

Have you checked the rabies policy where you live?

PamV

p.s.  Except for playful ankle attacks, he has not bitten anyone since I
brought him home.       My kids named him "Duncan", my dear patient hubby
declared him "very cute".  (You know you have married a saint when you find
him standing on the bathroom counter in his boxer shorts, calmly brushing his
teeth, watching the new-guy dooking and dancing on the floor below him.)