From:
Julie Dowdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:40:35 -0400
Since I was the one who made the question list, I can answer as to what I
wrote on it!  8)

>I'd just like to point out that the vet with the most surgical experience
>with ferrets is not necessarily the best vet to see on a day to day basis.

You could be right, but that has nothing to do with the question I offered
up for new patients to ask.  Why would you go to a vet and not find out if
they have any surgical skills?  Isn't that a "for your own edification"
thing?  And if they didn't, wouldn't you want to know who was going to be
operating on your pet?  What experience they had?

A vet that listens is fine, a vet that comes in right away to say hi is
fine.  But when it comes right down to it, I want a vet that can diagnose,
treat and give my ferret quality of life, not a nice chat when I come in.
How can you expect a qualified diagnosis, a qualified treatment and follow
up if your vet *isn't* qualified?

And this isn't about holistic or conventional treatment.  Either or is fine
with me.

>Please don't choose a vet solely on their experience

I wouldn't trust anyone without experience.  While I understand new vets
have to start somewhere, in an emergency (which is how I met my current
vet), I am never going to choose someone with zip experience over someone
with experience, bad attitude or not.

All that was asked was questions to ask a new vet.  I don't understand why
it had to turn into a holistic vs. conventional medicine topic, which is
what the post sounded like.  If you felt so strongly, why not list your
own questions?  That could have helped someone out.

And book learning vs.  hands on don't even belong in the same category.

 Julie