From:
West End Animal Hospital <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 14:35:39 -0400
Deborah W. Kemmerer, DVM
West End Animal Hospital
103 SW 140th Terrace
Newberry, FL 32669
(352)332-4357

Lately I've read several posts from people who are (rightly) concerned
about their ferrets having lymphoma, but in many casese there is no
definitive diagnosis of lymphoma.  Just because lymph nodes are enlarged
does NOT mean it's lymphoma.  The only way to definitively diagnose it is
by biopsy of the lymph node.

One reason I'm concerned about this is because this tends to prompt
testimonials about "cures" for lymphomas that were never really lymphomas
in the first place, thus giving false hope to owners of ferrets who really
do have lymphoma.

The other reason I'm concerned is that some vets give a much worse
prognosis for this kind of lymphoma than is warranted.  If lymphoma is
apparent only in enlarged lymph nodes, these ferrets tend to live many
months, even a couple of years with no treatment other than prednisolone.
Some people tend to jump the gun on euthanizing these ferrets.

If you suspect your ferret's lymph nodes are enlarged due to lymphoma,
PLEASE biopsy them before making an erroneous assumption.

Dr. K.