From:
Pamela E Troutman and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 23:08:01 EDT
Hello all,

In case anyone thought I might have dropped off the face of the earth, no,
I'm still active with ferrets and other things.  I skim every FML for
shelter related items and usually answer directly.  Today I received two
e-mails I'd like to share...

The first one was from the Arlington (VA) Animal Welfare League.  Seems
someone there wants to set up a ferret adoption program instead of
automatic euthanisia.  Alexandria Animal Welfare League and Fairfax County
Animal Shelter are both adopting their own ferrets now, so this will make
all surrounding public animal services "ferret friendly" to my local.  I
sent them a fat packet of ferret info and shelter forms.

The second e-mail was from the Doris Day Animal Foundation.  They were
interested in spay and neuter guidelines for ferrets - to print material on
ferrets and rabbits for the Spay Day USA program.  The woman said rabbits
were the third most likely animal to be turned in to animal shelters now.
What a shame.  I sent a large packet of info to her as well.

Education is the key here.  Whether we are concerned with housing issues of
ferrets in stores or shelters, the advancement of medical breakthroughs in
ferret health, or just what we can do to better our pet's lives, education
is the answer.

Once again, if you are interested in educating others on ferrets, or
spreading the news about a local ferret resource in your area, take a flyer
or ferret care sheet and make copies and spread the news.  STAR* has a nice
single sheet, two sided page on ferret history and care that is FREE upon
request (and a SASE).  These flyers can be left in vet offices, feed
stores, some pet shops will even post or hand them out.  the more of us
that are working to educate, the easier it is on all of us in the long run.

So even though you don't see me at ferret shows any longer, I'm still
writing for ferret magazines and educating where I can for the betterment
of ferrets.

It's been a day with ups and downs.  Even the weather has been funky -
hailstones the size of moth balls and there were so many, the gutters
clogged and the yard turned white, except under the trees, where the hail
stripped the blossoms off the cherry trees and leaves off the other trees.
I've got a messy yard to clean up this weekend.

Take care and take action,
Pam T.