From:
Ann Barzda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 07:28:32 -0500
I'm asking for help from all ferret people, so please forgive the double
entry if you receive both lists.

My question is, How can you tell when your ferret has ECE and when it is
just a particularly nasty stomach bug?

I've been fighting this diarrhea for a few weeks - one ferret got it, got
over it quickly, the other two had it for a longer period of time, seemed
to get better, now it's back.  They are eating and drinking, and when they
seemed to be better that got back to normal, but now with the upset tummys
they are eating and drinking a little less.  They don't seem dehydrated,
and they are still fairly active.  (A little tired, but I know I am too
when I get a stomach bug.) Their eyes are bright and they are still
interested in the world around them - they are not just lying in bed
sleeping.

If there is a possibility it is ECE I have to pull them from any scheduled
events over the next 6 months to avoid infecting anyone else, and I will
have to be extra careful before I go out to any ferret events to be sure I
don't accidentally bring it with me.

I'm hoping it's not, but I don't really know how to tell.  Is there a test
my vet can run to be sure?

Thanks for any help you can give this terrified ferret mommy.

Ann and the (what's all the fuss?) Piglet & the (oooh, my tummy hurts!)
Squid & the (hey!  get out of my bed and leave me alone!(or, the grumpy
old man)) Bandit