Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 15:29:31 -0500
From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Q:"Is it all right for my ferret to play with my dog?  The dog is so big
and the ferret is so small, I worry about one hurting the other.  Any
suggestions about the dog?"

A: I suggest making some Bob's Dog Gravy....

This is an issue where everyone is right and no one is wrong.  If someone
says the dog is dangerous, well, hey, you can find an instance where a dog
killed a ferret.  And if someone else says dogs are safe with supervision,
well, you can be sure to find others to support it.  The problem is,
because of a fair amount of feelings for beloved pets, the issue gets
bogged down in emotional-rather than intellectual-issues with people
polarizing along life experiences and personal beliefs.

So, if I said ferrets can be trained to get along with all sorts of
animals, and not just dogs, but rabbits, rodents, cats and even chickens,
I would be right, because I have personally seen it.  An example is the
"controversial" rabbit-ferret centerfold in Modern Ferret a few people were
hopping mad about a while back.  Yet ferrets have a historical reputation
as rabbit killers, based on historical fact.

See the conundrum here?  The real problem is one of definition.  As a
*SPECIES*, I would agree danger existed between dogs and ferrets, or
ferrets and bunnies.  These are natural predator-prey species having
understandable consequences when they come together.  You *have* to make
the assumption that something bad could happen, because it could (and
does).  Proceed with care.

BUUUTTT, that is just at the species level.  As *INDIVIDUALS*, they can
get along just fine, play together, eat and sleep and you-name-it together.
with no danger at all.  My cat and ferrets get along just fine, and I feel
quite safe at leaving them alone together for extended periods of time.
The ferrets have yet to eat the cat.  But my sugar gliders would be a snack
for both.  That is because, while at a species level the danger exists, at
the individual level it may or may not depending on the specific animals.

The internet and pet magazines constantly publish photos of ferrets with
other animals.  Its common, and the owners would tell you the interspecies
combinations are safe and trustworthy.  I know my animals; I know when
they feel bad, I know when they are frightened, and I know when they are
trustworthy.  No one else on this list can do that, except me.  So, if I
put a ferret with my cat (or a sugar glider) in a picture, you can bet your
Preparation H I would only do it if I thought it was safe and supervised.
Yet, even though my photo was perfectly safe, you can be sure I would
offend someone at the sugar glider protection agency, who would point out
to me the dangers of such a combination and the terrible example it would
set for others.  Ready to get offended?  Get ready, because I'm going to
offend you now.  Here it comes.

What ever happened to common sense?  To the ability of someone to size a
situation up and determine if danger actually exists or not?  If your dog
kills rabbits, don't introduce it to your ferret.  If it licks kittens,
its probably safe.  Dirt doesn't kill, poop will not disolve your fingers,
unclipped nails are not ferret abuse, kibble is not manna, and species
level generalities are not the same as individual level realities.  Get a
life or at least a dose of common sense.

If you insist on interspecies introductions, do your best to minimize risk
to both.  Personally, I see no reason to keep ferrets from other animals as
long as 1) The animals are initially mellow, 2) the introduction is slow
and carefully controlled, 3) neither animal acts aggressively towards the
other, and 4) you never leave them unsupervised.  But that's my opinion,
and it may not be yours.  Do what is right for you, and allow me to do what
is right for me.  Let's leave judgement out of it.

One other thing, specifically about pet photos.  I once photographed then
President Reagan, and in a 11 frame burst taking about 3 seconds, I had 5
different facial expressions, which could be *INTERPRETED* as 5 different
emotions, when only one was being displayed.  In other words, an animal
may look frightened in a picture, but that doesn't mean they were, nor can
you tell if the emotion is being expressed towards another animal in the
picture, or the photographer.  Ever photograph babies?  Babies aren't
crying because mom or sister is holding them; they are crying because the
photography or the photographer is scaring them.  Most flash photography is
only 1/60th of a second in time, and ANY expression displayed may or may
not be an accurate one.  Unless you believe those silly-looking pictures
of you at birthday parties are reflective of your emotional state.

One famous example was a picture published after the Challenger exploded,
showing shocked family members clasping their hands and looking skyward.
It ran everywhere to illustrate the horror of the explosion and death of
the astronauts.  A powerful, emotive picture.  Except it was taken *before*
the explosion during the initial launch, and shows joy, not horror.  MANY
emotions look just like other ones, especially in "B" grade movies.  The
only people who would know would be the photographer and the people in
the picture.  When I see a ferret with any animal, I make the assumption
that the photographer/owner knew it was safe.  So pictures of rabbits and
ferrets, dogs and ferrets, cats and ferrets, or even goats and ferrets
don't bother me, even with historical precident of danger.

So, I would say to slowly introduce your animals together, carefully
restrained, and closely observe how they react.  If *ANY* danger signs
exist, such as the dogs snapping towards the ferret, or the ferret clamping
down on the doggie's nose, separate them immediately.  You can keep trying,
but recognize the point where one animal is saying, "I won't change," and
drop the subject.  And use common sense, would ya?

Bob C and 19 Mo' Snappin' Sofa Sharks