Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 10:48:02 -0500
From:
I very rarely read the fml anymore, let alone post to it but after hearing
some people rant about the audacity of having a former playmate promoting
ferrets I decided to read the string because I could not believe that
something so minor could create such a huge uproar.  I haven't actually
seen the Modern ferret in question so bear in mind my comments are only
based on what I've read in the FML and this is what I want to address.  The
way I understand it there is a small group of moralist individuals who feel
that because this woman once posed sans clothing in a national publication
that her opinions and anything positive she has to offer should be shunned
for the rest of her life.  Further, even though Modern ferret did not show
any of her nudes it is somehow endorsing the behaviour by recognizing the
fact that this woman has achieved some form of celebrity status.  To think
that you would deprive yourself and others (how many times have you used
quotes or clips from the magazine) over something as foolish as this makes
me angry.  Especially when I get the sense that some of the loudest
protesting is coming from people who didn't even read the article because
it featured a playmate but rather felt the need to hide it away or destroy
it like it was radioactive fecces.  I wonder if these people would be as
outraged by an article featuring Arnold Scharzenegger whose films
graphically depict fictional violence and murder or a well known military
figure who represents destruction and murder?  Let's see, which is more
harmful to accept in our society, violence or nudity?  Futhermore what has
any of this to do with whether this woman loves her pets?  Or ferrets?  Or
anything in the real world?  Please do us all a favor and get your noses
out of your religious literature long enough to see things as they are and
at least scan the ofrensive material to see if it is indeed offensive
before condemning it.  Open-mindedness and an ability to understand the
other side of an issue are absolute neccesities when dealing in a
politically motivated world and it is a skill which will help you if you
want to change a law or a policy or present information to the public.  I
am reminded of two quotes which would seem to apply:

Minds are like parachutes...they work best when open.
Mind like a steel trap...Ready to snap shut at any time.

Now that I've stirred the pot I hope something breaks loose.  I know it
is a foolish hope because the worst offenders are the same people who are
least likely to change or even consider that they might be possibly a
little off base.

"Nothing should be implied as law which leads to unjust or absurd
 consequences."
"The game's not over until I win!"