Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 12:31:44 -0600
From:
Rick Roller <[log in to unmask]>
It seems to happen every year about this time.  The once dedicated and
loving Ferret owners decide its no longer a cute fad and grow tired of the
responsibilities of becoming a Ferret Parent.  My answering machine grows
full of the typical excuses, "were having a baby, were moving to a place
that does not allow pets, I don't have time anymore to play with them, etc.
etc. etc."

Anyone who has run or operated a rescue has probably heard them a thousand
times and you end up taking in the abandoned ferret and doing your best to
find it a new loving home.  But every once in a while you take in someone
elses irresponsibility and neglect.  The skinny, undernourished, badly
abused, fuzzie that resembles a bad hair day then a cute and fuzzie Ferret.

These are the days that I want to reach out and grab that piece of human
garbage that ventured into the pet store, gave into their own personal and
selfish needs to possess everything cute and fun, and took home a baby
ferret that might of ended up being purchased by a educated human that
understood that purchasing a animal is a lifetime commitment.  That they
are not a shirt or pair of shoes that you use until the style goes out or
you grow tired of using it.  A pet, whether its a ferret, dog, cat, bird,
fish requires a lifetime commitment.  Something this type of person does
not seem to understand.

Commitment with a pet means for life.  You cannot divorce your pet.  They
did not choose you.  I am sure if most pets had their way they would choose
to stay with their kind, but use more evolved pets have made the choice
that we need this pet in our lives to feel more fulfilled and happy.  Then
why do shelters exist?  Why do I spend my weekends trying to find homes for
abandoned and homeless Ferrets?  Why does my wife and I spend our weeks
taking in and caring for other peoples responsibilities?  We are not the
only ones and I applaud those other shelter parents and I ask them the same
question, why?

I know why I do it and I do not dislike what I do, I just hate the fact
that I have to do it.  And for those narrow minded individuals who will
send me their uneducated responses to that statement.  I hate taking care
of other peoples responsibilities.  I hate having to follow through with
another persons promise to take care of you.  I hate having to make the
decision because some careless and irresponsible lier dumps a sick and
dying ferret on our shelter.

Why have I taken time out to write such an article.  Because I hope anyone
who is thinking about taking on the responsibilities of becoming a Ferret
Parent, you better understand the meaning of the term "LIFE TIME
COMMITMENT."  Where are you going to be living in five years, six years,
eight years.  If your planning on going off to college in a few years or
getting married soon, or moving.  Where does that little animal fit into
those plans?  If you cannot fit that animal into your future, than don't
ruin its life by taking it in or its chances of being taken home by a
responsible person.

Our shelter just had two ferrets dumped on us by a collector.  She and her
husband have a zoo, but then added a baby to the collection.  Too much
responsibility she said.  Then they decided to divorce.  The two fuzzies
are in the worse condition I have ever seen.  Our vet does not think they
will make it.  The decision is up to me.  A lady just called, she has two
five year old ferrets that she no longer can tolerate.  Her kids are going
off to college and cannot take them.  She bought them for them five years
ago and they are still alive, she said.  I am sick to my stomach hearing
that.

I know I will hear some ignorants say, "then you should'nt be running a
shelter." Well when you move to this ass backwards county, you can take it
over.  Right now there is only a few of us doing it and that is not enough.
Its either the illegal underground shelters of Salt Lake County or
immediate death for fuzzies in this county.

Rick
United Ferret Organization (note new address)
668 Union Square Ste 234, Sandy, Utah 84070
The United Ferret Organization is dedicated to the protectection of the
Domestic Ferret and education others about the wonderful companion they
make.