From:
Sherri M <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:08:56 -0700
Hi there,
I am new to the FM but i am owned by 5 wonder fuzzies.  But story is about
my first little girl(Trouble) who just passed away 2 weeks ago sat.It is a
story of her i would like to share.

Trouble was a very healthy 4 years old, She never had a problem with her
health.she was one of those ferrets u see and want to just rub noses
with(very special from the day i bought her home)and of course every did :)
but then something terrible happened.I woke up on Sat and found her
lethargic and she just starred at me.  I knew something was wrong.  so i
got on the phone (7:45 am) and was on my way to the vet.(dr paula Engle)
the best ferret vet (she has saved many of ferrets that i know could/shoud
not have made it)but anyway she did the xray and blood work and put her on
iv to hydrate her and force feed her.At 12:30 i was told i could pick her
up but alot of tlc and force feeding was needed.Hey i can do that i have
done it to others right?  well as soon i as i got her home she started to
vomit(vet closes at 1pm) but back to the vet i went.they kept her(easter
weekend)to keep the iv going.At 5:45 pm i gt the call that she was not
looking to good,but they wanted to do surgery to see what the problem
could be.  I agreed to allow them to go in.At 6:20 pm they said she may
not be strong enough to make it through the surgery but if they did not do
something her chances of making it throught the night were even less.so i
said do what u gotta do.

At 7:07 pm i got the cal that they did not get the anethesia in her and
she had passed away.  I was heart broken,i let them do open surgery to
find out what happened.Turns out internal bleeding caused by her system
shutting down due to an ulcer with a hole inthe intestine and a small
protrusion(which was sent to the lab)After a week with all other test
coming back neg.(including her white blood cell being normal) she had
cancer.An isolated case and to this day the lab and vets are still puzzled
by the results.She had no out ward signs blood normal behavior normal up
until that dreaded sat morning.I just thank god that her suffering was all
of one day.She was the only little girl to my 3 boys(nosey also 4 yrs,
bandit&rebel 2 yrs)

I watch my ferrets behavior very closely as im sure we all do but this was
the strangest cancer i have ever came upon.  It makes me think how lucky i
was to be owned by trouble.  She was a fighter.  It just goes to show there
are somethings we just can't explain.

thanks for listening
Sherri
and the fuzzies