Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:25:43 +0100
[first few words lost. BIG]
ssssssssssssssssssssse hear about them all the time.  We probably have
experienced one or two, or even more in our lifetimes.  But what exactly
makes a ferret geriatric?

Oh, I have heard of all the medical jargon that is used to describe to
me in detail what is happening in their bodies, but to me, it's just not
the way I want to think of my "older" ferrets.

When I was told that Chook and Taero, at the age of 5, were considered
geriatric ferrets, I couldn't believe it.  You can't tell me, I would
say, that these two very active, able to climb stairs, able to trash a
cupboard in minutes ferrets, were old.  They don't look old... they
don't act old... so what makes them geriatric?

When we lost Max last year to adrenal disease, I knew he was old because
he looked old.  But then again, the ravages of the disease did nothing
to change my opinion.  But, at nine and a half, and having a skinny,
hairless body that was wrinkled, and toe nails that were yellow and
tough to cut, and being incontinent, he just seemed to me to be an old
man.  He even had a few wisps of old man hair at the top of his head,
and a few white hairs in his facial beard.  Now those are signs of being
old.

But I have read here on the FML that there are those ferrets that have
lived to wonderful ages, like 12, 15, even 17 years of age.  (Wasn't
that last one, one of Bob's?)  Now that's old!  So, in my mind, I just
can't accept my five year olds being called geriatric.  I don't like the
association I have of the mental picture of being geriatric with being
wrinkled, unsteady on ones feet, maybe being incontinent, and so on.  I
guess I truly feel that if I actually say out loud that they are geriatric
that it will mean they will start acting old... I enjoy their youthful
antics ever so much.  So for me I follow the adage that if I think young,
I will remain young, at least in my heart, forever.  And that's the way I
treat my older guys.

But that's not to say that I have anything against old ferrets - I do not.
In fact, I welcome the coming of their twilight years.  Ferret old age
seems to bring on a kind of peacefulness that I wish for when it's my turn
to be called a senior.  They are calmer, and like to cuddle more.  They
seem to want to be carried everywhere and enjoy being held for longer
periods of time.  They seem to understand that being babied is a part of
the Big Picture Plan and so I oblige them by making the food a little more
mushy so it goes down a little bit better, and made their bedding a little
more softer, and forgive them of their litter box misses.  It's only the
heartache of losing them when it is their time to go that remains to be the
only thing I do not look forward to.  But, as death is partner of old age,
I understand it must come.

So, my dear little fuzzy carpet sharks, let me, in my own naive way, push
aside the term geriatric, and perhaps come up with a new term for my
not-so-old companions... and let me just call you friend.

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur
To my ferts: Thank you for letting me experience life in the not-so-fast
lane.... your graceful aging gives me something to look forward to.