From:
Rebecca McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:51:15 -0500
Dooks to everyone, and my sincere condolences to Pewt & Kyle Buddy's
humans, and to all others who've lost their fuzzy ones.

Just had to share the weekend events.  Sara & I were at the mall Friday,
and of course into Pass Pets I go.  I see the albino that's been there
since December and I hear my heart break.  Of course Sara immediately goes
"Buy him mom!  Don't worry, Larry won't bean you!"  I told her I'd have to
discuss this with him.  Soooooo, home we go, and I hem and haw around, and
I know he's cracking up.  Finally I said, "I can do this next payday, so if
he's still there, (Bambi eyes, here) can I get him??????"  My SO looks at
me, tells me yes and then says "STAY OUTTA THE PET STORE".  Well, I lost
a lot of sleep worrying about the little guy, and we battered it back and
forth Saturday, and figured if I robbed Peter to pay Paul this time, I
could do it then.

So off to the store, and the one worker there I educated about FML, Duck
Soup, etc. was there and remembered me.  They opened up the cage(tank) and
lift out a 5 month old female albino, ruby eyed.  Of course she begins
kissing and cuddling me, and I'm talking to her.  The asst. manager is
there and says "Oh, you bought the boy last night, didn't you?"  Uh, no,
was my reply, and then she said "We may have a problem."  The lady who
bought the male had asked them to hold the little girl and she was coming
to get her!  Inwardly I was ecstatic, finally someone besides me was
worried about these two.  The store did take my name in case she didn't
come for her, but I called later and she was reunited with her brother!

Now, after that, I decided to make Bob C.'s chicken gravy and start my
magnificent 7 out on the good stuff.  So here I am in the kitchen, hacking
apart an already dead chicken, and grinding it up, bones and all.  (Yech).
Got all the ingredients, cooked that stuff together, and then my husband
came out and took his electronic cooking wand (tall skinny blender) and
chunked it up into a puree!  I mean, you know something's in there because
its grainy, but you'd never know it was bones & eggshells.

Well, I put some in a plate to cool, in eager anticipation of the fuzzies
enjoyment of this delectable goo.  Kit, our fearless FLO leader was first
to the plate, and stopped about 6 inches from it.  I, being the good parent
that I am, start cooing and telling her how she's just gonna love this.
Put some on my finger, got it on her lip.  I'm sure all who've had
children, helped with siblings, etc.  remember the first time a baby
tastes something it doesn't like, right?  If I only had had a camera.
She wrinkled up her nose, gagged, backed away, looked at me like I'd done
something disastrous to her and took off!  Didn't have a lot of success
with the others, except Socks, and he wasn't sure.  Of course Kit kept
teasing me and coming back to it, trying it again, gagging again.
Sometimes!

So yesterday I heated up a little and took it upstairs.  Now---Larry had
been up there earlier studying, and had moved the Yesterday's news and the
bedding from the desk to the top of a box.  I'd not noticed this when I
asked him to be sure to let them out after we got home.  Anyway, up the
stairs I go, telling them I've got something yummy for them.  I get over
the gate and look to my right.......I'm not going to say all that I said,
but there they were, these little members of the FLO, digging Yesterday's
news all over the box, the floor, themselves.  Calvin was in the bag of
bedding, going backwards and bedding was flying everywhere.  Larry heard me
and came upstairs.  By then the gravy was in the bedroom, I'm on the floor
trying to get this stuff back in the bags and being assisted(?) by Genie,
Kit, Scully, Suzy, Calvin, and Mookie.  Socks was nowhere to be seen.

Of course by now I'm laughing, and the ferrets were disappearing by the
batch as Larry grabbed them up and put them in their cage so we could clean
up.  After all was done I let them out again, and you've never seen looks
of ruffled dignity from these kids!  Socks went for the gravy yesterday,
licking it off my fingers and even eating some of the plate.  Guess tonight
we try again.  I also noticed last night that Suzy is trying to hypnotize
the cats into being FLO agents.  She finds one of them, drops in front of
them (speedbump?) and lays there and stares intently into their eyes.
Guess I'd better keep a closer eye on the cats.

Rebecca & the other two human slaves
Socks-honest ma, I'm much to dignified to unload that litter
Kit-All right-you to the left, you to the right, and me in the middle
Genie--Wooohoooo!  Is this fun.  Hey, mom, can I help by jumping on you
again
Scully---Oh joy--almost like a pile of leaves
Calvin--this bedding is the neatest to scatter--look how it goes into the
air vent
Suzy Derkins---Get this here, get that there, no, lets move it again
Mookie---Oh boy is this fun-oops, hi, mom!  Can you run some water for
me??????
Chewie, Dribble, Sarabi, and Tigger--I told you they'd get into trouble,
now lets go get the food off the table!
=======================
Rebecca McFarlane
Secretary
Basic Medical Sciences
School Veterinary Medicine
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN  47907-1246
Phone:   765-494-8632
Fax:     765-494-0781
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
 good with ketchup"