From:
"Aileen N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 08:57:47 -0700
I was really surprised to see the positive posts regarding renting with
ferrets.

This past year when I was looking, I had an AWFUL time!  I was either
flatly refused or was told I had something like a $200 pet deposit plus $50
extra a month.  Showing pictures and telling landlords they were caged most
of the time (just a little fib) did no good.  One woman literally screeched
at me "My GOD, NO WAY!  They are WILD ANIMALS!" She wouldn't even listen to
me after that.

The only reason I'm in a place now is that I convinced the landlord they
are "always caged" and that I only have two (instead of five).
Unfortunately I don't have one of those "lease addendums" either.  I didn't
even think of that at the time.  The maintenance man has been in twice to
fix things, but (knock on wood) so far things are quiet.  Maybe he thinks
they're cute.  [Cats are allowed, with a $200 pet deposit.  Go figure.  I
always thought cats (no offense, I used to have two), were much more
destructive than my ferrets anyway.]

"J": would you please e-mail me (privately if you wish) & let me know what
apartment complex you ended up going with?  My lease will be up in November
and I would definately like to find someplace more "ferret friendly."

To all those "happy flamers" out there, please don't flame me if you feel
my behaviour "irresponsible." I needed a place in an emergency and was NOT
going to give up my babies under any circumstances.  I was on the verge of
giving up & going "back home to Mom" when I picked the place I did.

Aileen & the herd
===
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."