From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 22:44:19 -0400
We have two jills that are due on Sunday & they are getting ready to move
into thier birthing cages (I hate moving them any earlier as they tend to
get nervous being alone and I hate for my pregnant girls to suffer from
seperation anxioty).  Anyhow - I have noticed that BOTH of the two girls
have been mothering the other jills - and each other.  They will pin the
other jills down and clean them (esp. the ears which is great for me!) and
drag them back into the sleeping area.  The other jills are not bothered by
it much as it doesn't seem to be AS irritating as when the jills return to
their normal cage mates AFTER the weaning the of the kits.  It is so funny
because they often pin down and clean each other at the same time.  I just
have never noticed them mothering BEFORE birth.  Has anybody else?

Amy Flemming

Flemming Farms - Michigan, USA
Breeding for Quality Ferrets
American, Australian, German, and New Zealand bloodlines
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521

Weasel Watchers Ferret Rescue - Michigan, USA
Helping Needy Weasels
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/petsburgh/zoo/2690

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism"