From:
John Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:46:47 -0600
Hey I have a request...

Do any one of you have a dehydrator (prefer a small one) that you don't use
anymore and it's tucked away in the garage or storage somewhere?

I'm looking for one and I would be happy to buy it from you or pay for the
shipping cost.  The reason I need one is that I want to make chewy treats
for them that are similar to the chew-weasels.  And healthy human treats
for myself too! :-)

and now the update on my household... ferret math struck again and I
brought home two young weezels from the United Ferret Organization here in
Utah.  A sweet chubby stable mitt with a cute stripe on his head and a
little silver panda/blaze mitt (he looks more like a panda but still has
coloring), a little terror with little sharp teeth.  So of course nip
training got started and now he doesn't bite as often, but man, when he
does bite, he sure can sink his teeth in!  My hands are full of holes...

Why does he like ankles?  What is it that appeals to him to stand up grab
my ankles and bite?  He pays no attention to my toes?

Introduction went very smoothly, no fighting!  They just moved right in on
the first day and everyone was sleeping together by the second night.  I
think it is because my first two are about 11 months old and the new ones
are only 8 and 6 months old so they weren't set in their ways yet.  It was
nice to have some colored ferrets in the group since my first two ferrets
are albino and DEW.

I have also started them on Bob's Chicken Gravy... I want to thank the
person who suggested the meat grinder, it sure got me interested and now I
am serving this wonderful food instead of kibble.  It is amazing how easy
it is to grind up the skin, bones and meat into hamburger-like mass.  I
bought the chicken whole but its easy to cut it up into parts that are long
and narrow.  The whole thing took only a couple hours (cutting grinding
cooking and packaging) and made enough food to last longer than a month for
four ferrets, I believe it would even be longer later after their bodies
are used to the food and eat less.  Two hours for a month or longer supply
of pure-carnivore food that cost about the same as the higher quality
ferret kibble sounds like a great deal to me.

I still am using the kibble once a week or so because it will be useful if
I go out of town for a couple of days, they will eat the kibble.  I also
mix in the kibble with the gravy some days to make it interesting.  Also it
may interest you that I did not blend it into paste, but down to chucky
bits in liquid, so they can lick the liquid and start to eat the pieces...
next batch, I will only grind the meat using the grinder and not use the
blender at all and cook it with little water to make hamburger-like food.

Let me tell you guys that this is absolutly not much trouble to make and
it's very easy to package and store in the freezer.  My guys (and gal) now
come into the kitchen every morning and evening to watch me prepare their
meal since they now associate me as the food provider now, which seems to
make the bond even stronger.

I do have another question, I have seen those canned ferret foods in pet
stores, I don't remember the name of the company and I will have to take a
closer look next time.  Does anyone use those canned food and is it good?
I have no idea about the contents but if it was mostly meat and less veggie
matter, then I would assume that it is good?  Yes, it was marketed for
ferrets.

Sorry for the long post, folks!

John and the fab four: Soda-Pop, Mocha, Cheswick, and Food-Stamp
--
* "Thar ain't no fool like them war-dancing weezels!" *