Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:54:16 -0400
Hello Martha-
you wrote:
>Is a swollen vulva in adrenal disease a more severe symptom than the hair
>loss or is it just another indicator of hormone imbalance.  From the
>letters, people seem so pleased when the swelling is reduced even if the
>hair isn't growing back.  Our oldest girl (8+ yrs) has become almost
>completely bald and has aswollen vulva but thanks to Bob C's gravy is
>bouncing around like a 2 year old.  Should she be on Ovaban or some such
>thing?

In the sheltering experience the swollen vulvar means the hormones have
reached high estrus point-- meaning the body temperature is higher-- what
the significance here is that if left in this prolonged state the ferret
will undoubtedly develop aplastic anemia.  Given that the ferrets age is
stated as 8 years-- and it has been adrenal symptomatic for a long period
of time - i can understand the reluctance for surgery-- this would have
been the only option prior to this--

I am not sure what I would do in your situation.  Clearly the surgery is
the only thing that can help at this point.  We use alternative therapies
here-- but it must be caught much earlier-- we have done surgery to an
enlarged vulva on the therapy only to find it was a right glad and a
ligation was required-- hey she is doing fine-- she has lived a year
longer than anyone expected-- still maintained on a nutritional support...

hope you find an answer-- at this point I am not sure the lysodren/
mitotane would do the trick-- have  you broached this with the vet???!

Alicia

for the many faces at Ferret Wise