From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 10:04:14 -0400
Otter - your not the only one with pangs - I go through the same thing.
Ferrets seem to be tailor made to be an impulse pet with all the sad
consequences.  They are cute and exotic and all too available - after the
novelty wears off and they have gotten into one to many cupboard, scratched
one to many carpets - they are all to easily caged for the rest of their
lives.  For those that want to put their heads in the sand don't talk to
those doing rescue or vets who will only tell you their amazing and
disturbing stories only if you ask.  My nephew told me about a pet store in
Ypsilanti MI that he was in recently - the EASTER BUNNIES (bad news right
off the bat), guinea pigs, ferrets etc.  were all in open top'ed cages so
that people could pet them at will.  Not only is this dangerous to people,
especially children - it places an huge amount of stress on the animals.
This store also sold puppies and kittens - which tells me right away this
is not a "good" pet store.  Companion animals do not belong in pet stores.
They should be gotten from reputable breeders who can do screening,
education and follow up support.  Reputable breeders will regulate their
breeding program to be able to take back and rehome those animals they have
bred which have to be given up due to the unfortunate life circumstances
that will occur to even the most responsible pet owner.  I consider the
ferret a companion animal.  I have seen that some people do not seem to be
able to seperate their own self-interest from this issue.  I can only hope
that someday they become enlightened.  For those with the bigger picture
please support the pet welfare groups and agencies like ASPCA, Humane
Societies etc.  in getting and keeping companion animals out of pet stores.

>Either that, or tell me what helps you deal with it.  Every time I look at
>my furry kid, I get a pang because I don't think one in a dozen ferrets is
>getting the same chance at a happy life he is. =(

I can't foster at this time, but I try to help by not supporting pet stores
that sell ferrets, I put my posters up at vets offering ferret education,
support and ferret FAQ's and ferret referral.  I talk to people, I write
letters.  I make fuzzy sacks for rescues.  It's not much but if we all do
what we can every little bit helps.

Mary, Booker and the fuzzbutts Boris and Giesela