From:
Karen Ellingson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 13:19:06 PDT
My daughter and I had a scarey experience yesterday while feeding our
ferrets.  We have 3 lively kids, a 2 year old female and a 1 year old
female, and a 4 month old huge boy.

We recently got a free sample of 8 in 1 Ultimate Ultra-Blend for ferrets.
The ingredients seem O.K.  and the shape of the food is eye catching.  They
are tiny crunchy 5 sided stars.  Our ferrets have been getting couple of
pieces here and there as treats.

Last night our 1 year old who is rather petite got a piece of this food
stuck whole across the palate of her mouth.  The shape got wedged in
tightly between the sides of her teeth.

At first we didn't notice, but she was acting strange.  She was trying to
get the piece out.  When I didn't hear her crunching like the others, I
picked her up and looked in her mouth.  Sticking a finger in may or may not
have been the smartest thing to do.  The piece came dislodged but I got a
small hole in my finger from a tooth.

The poor thing.

We just thought we'd mention this in case other people are using it.  My
daughter thought we should cut all the pieces in half from now on.  I think
we won't be buying this food.  Too labor intensive.

Once before, one of our ferrets who eats too fast ended up coughing when
eating this food.  He may have had trouble with the shape too I'm thinking.

We will be writing the company to explain the problem we had with the
shape.