From:
Helen Chuang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:37:57 EST
Hi. Here's a first-time-ferret-owner question:

Is it normal for ferrets' appetites to change during the spring?  I've only
owned my ferret for 6 months and have no experience with this.

I've noticed in the past several days that Felicia is eating a lot less
than she used to.  Lately, I only see her eating twice a day (she used
to eat every four hours or so).  Moreover, she won't go into her cage
voluntarily to eat (she used to), so I bring her bowls outside the cage
during the day and then she'll stash her food under my fianc=E9's desk and
eat there.  She also does not eat or drink anything at all (!!!) when she
is in her cage for the night.  She drinks fine when she is out of her cage
during the day, but overnight seems like a long time for such a small
creature to not eat or drink.  She seems healthy otherwise.

So, my question, if people could please answer:
a) Is this a way of shedding winter weight?
b) Is she protesting being kept in her cage for the night (she rules the
house during the day), and if so, what can I do about this?  (i.e., am I
being manipulated by this little fuzzbutt again?)
or
c) Am I being a worry wart?

Thanks!

Helen & Felicia