From:
Ilsa McBryde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 16:39:44 +1000
Hi everyone!

I'm starting to think the petstore (The Living Jungle) I bought my ferret
from is very rare indeed and am very thankful for it after hearing all the
awful stories about 'petco' on this list.

We do have a ferret shelter in Melbourne ( which I found AFTER I bought
my Scooter), but the pet store seems to be doing its best to ensure that
ferrets do not end up at the shelter.

My ferret was kept in a large plexiglass pen (the same that the puppies
are kept in) which is filled with shredded paper and clean rags.  It had a
litter pan (filled with RSPCA approved litter) in one corner and there was
a sheepskin sleeping bag in the other.  He was provided with a large
earthenware bowl of water and another bowl filled with IAMS kitten growth
food.

The store had a number of ferret books for sale and a number of the
employees also owned ferrets and were happy to give advice and provide both
the pros and cons of ferret ownership before any final decisions were made.
I don't know what age they sell the ferrets from as Scooter was 13 weeks
when I bought him but they said he had been there a little while.  They
also put ups in contact with a ferret-knowledgable vet just up the road
from the store.  My only complaint is that they did not have the number of
the Ferret Shelter available and will be providing them with the details as
our Ferret Shelter is a wealth of knowledge in terms of ferret friendly
vets etc.

Most pet stores in Melbourne sell rabbits and guinea pigs etc but are kept
in enclosures with locks on them and have signs warning customers not to
handle animals without staff assistance.

Having said this I have come across one pet store which was keeping a
number of rats and turkeys out in the afternoon sun and along with telling
the manager that animals need to have shelter from the sun winter or not)
have reported them to the RSPCA .

I applaud everyone who has ever done anything to ensure animals from
petstores are not treated purely as 'merchandise'.

Thanks for letting me share & take up space.
Ilsa & Scooter~~~