From:
SCN User <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:09:12 -0700
To the Pern fan who wrote recently and to any others out there-

No, you are not off-base in making the analogy--I've thought that, too!

I have also thought that ferrets "pick" their humans in the same way
fire-lizards and dragons "impress" theirs.  My ferrets have always chosen
me, instead of the other way round!

My present two definitely picked me out!  About a month after Emmett Kelly
crossed the Rainbow Bridge, my friend told me about a ferret at the Best
Little RR-and-F House who seemed like he'd want me.  .  .  turns out she
was a good judge of ferret character!

That little fellow turned out to be my friend Monty--he took one look at
me, I took one look at him, he gave me a big kiss, and I "just knew." When
he came out to play and jumped into my lap, there was no doubt whatsoever.
That handsome gentle sable little-bear had chosen me.

Also, a darling little ebony mitt took one look at me, and me at him, and
next thing I knew he was giving me kisses and trying to comb my hair (or
take out the comb I had in it?) and snuggling up to me with his little chin
resting on my hand...and again I "just knew."

Don't ask me how I "knew" or how they "knew" because I do not know!  It's
been almost a year now since they came "home" and they are both definitely
"supposed" to be there.  I think an "impression" took place, just like in
the Pern stories...

So yes, you did pick a good analogy! I'm :) impressed!

Kate, Monty and Madison