From:
Janis Zapfel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 07:20:51 -0700
I wasn't going to say anything, but now have to.  Meghan posted about her
PetLand store and now I have to say something to.  I went to the one In
Joliet, Ill.  and what I saw disturbed me.  There were 4 ferts all from MF.
They were so tiny!!!!!  I picked up the girl and I thought I would crush
her in my hand.  Is that normal?  When I got mine from PetCo.  (don't say
anything...the one I bought from was wonderful, they had to ferret owners
working in the store that took care of them) and my babies were not that
small.  Now there living condtions...Awful!!!  Imagine a 5 by 5 ft square
now divide that into four sections..Tah Dah that's what they lived in.
They had a 2 =BD foot space to live in.  There was poopy in their food
dish, you could tell their water bottle had never been cleaned.  And they
had minimal bedding.  I have a really big purse, the thought did cross my
mind to put them all in there and run.  Everyone says to report this stuff,
but what happens to the little guys?  Do they go back to MF or do they go
to animal shelters for adoption?

I think we can put PetCo on the back burner and maybe visit some other
PetLand stores and see if they are all the same in the way they treat
ferrets.  Believe me, If I wasn't saving for a wedding and had a bigger
house they four of them would have been rescued.

Happiness,
Janis

P.S.  That little girl that I played with stole my heart.  I cried when I
got back to my car wishing I could help them.