From:
Sandi Ackerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:26:49 -0700
>rabbits and rodents is in a BIG storefront

I believe ms.  howe may be referring to the Best Little Rabbit, Rodent &
Ferret House (want to make sure we get a plug in for our shelter whenever
possible.)  Our "BIG" storefront is actually a BIG shelter, housing
(currently) 146 animals, and products that we sell to try to be
self-supporting (including Totally Ferret - come one, come all!) In the
Seattle area we are just one of several shelters who have "BIG
storefronts", Hooterville Pets rescues cats and dogs and the occasional
rabbit, Mercer Island Pet Grocery (aka MEOW) rescues primarily cats and
rabbits.  Des Moines Pet Center rescues cats, and a variety of rodents and
rabbits (and they also sell Totally Ferret).

Everyone of us "storefront" shelters started rescuing out of our homes,
just as Ed does and then we all realized that we could do so much more for
our animal friends by giving them more exposure to the public.  So we've
all gone through our life savings, our retirement funds and all of our gold
credit cards so that we could move our shelters from our homes to a public
place.  Our shelter has just completed our third year in our BIG storefront
and we've found homes for over 687 animals!  I'm very proud that I've been
able to help that many animals, something it would have taken many, many
years to do out of my home.

I know it was much more difficult for me to keep things perfectly cleaned
(as a matter of fact it was impossible) when I was operating from my home.
People were there day and night as I made arrangements around their
schedules, rather than around mine.  I've never been to Ed's place, but
*if* there is a problem I'm sure it could be handled by our newly formed
Washington State Ferret Association.  Ed enjoys controversy, so whether or
not he needs a volunteer cleaning crew over, I'm sure he's sitting back
with a wicked grin on his face contemplating his response, in German of
course.

I think it's too bad that this was posted to the FML, rather than to our
local WSFA list where there are people who CAN look into and help with a
situation if necessary.

>...they do look very different.  but i would be willing to put eds ferts up
>against rabbit/rodents any day and they would do no worse than tie.

Actually my ferret, Freddy is a lover not a fighter, but I'll bet that
Bernie our resident GIANT French Lop rabbit could kick the butt of Ed's
toughest weasel!  Bernie just doesn't believe in a "tie"!

Sandi
Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & (don't forget) Ferret House
Seattle, WA
HouseBun Archives
   http://users.loa.com/~phause/HouseBun/