From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:07:27 -0400
Hi, folxes!

OK, here's the story.  A local pet shop sells kits from Path Valley Farms.
I bought one of those kits about 1 1/2 years ago.  He is healthy, strong,
smart, playful and fun to be with!  I stopped in there yesterday to look at
the new babies.  They had one there that was smoke-colored, with what
appeared to be glowing red eyes (I checked for the battery door, but
couldn't find it)!  Apparently, they were short of help and just hired
someone that will be taking care of them.  They needed food and water and
were provided with both when I asked them to get it.  I held the smoke baby
for about 20 minutes.  He was totally satisfied to lay in my arms and
attempt to take a nap most of the time, though he never closed his eyes.

Once the food and water was placed in the cage, I put the baby back in with
the other two (who had smoke-colored heads, but dark silver bodies) and
they all rushed to the food and started munching out.  BTW, in defense of
the store, there *was* food already in the cage, but it had been spilled
out and had hardened...probably the kits couldn't chew it.  The water
bottle was empty, though.

On the outside wall of the enclosure, there was a sign that explained what
ferrets were, what had been done to them (medically--spay/neuter, shots,
etc.) and why, along with their behavior and a small idea of what to expect
from them.  However, I found the literature to be woefully lacking in the
reality of ferrets, especially for newbies.

What I would like to do is put together an *honest* information pack, that
the pet shop can give to people interested in getting their first ferret.
Though a large number of the ferrets sold by them are to people that
already have a ferret, I felt that their information for someone that has
never had a ferret didn't give a good-enough picture to anyone that has
never had a ferret before.  The hard facts for me to swallow are that there
are at least two instances of people locally who bought a ferret this past
Christmas as a present for their families, then killed them with a shovel
because they did a weasel war dance and the people thought they were going
mad.  Seven ferrets were thrown out in the yard (they all called me and I
went over to pick them up, then find them a home) because they smelled bad
and nipped.  Others have put them in cages outside and left them there,
because they didn't like the litterbox smells and didn't get the idea of
cleaning them out daily.  Still others found that feeding them fruits and
dog food was preferable to spending the money to buy the proper foods.

I would like to put the information packet together for the pet shop to
hand out to these prospective buyers more to let the people make an
*informed* decision, rather than an impulse buy.  I talked with the owner
and, though I'm sure she was looking at a possible drop in the sales of
ferrets, she was willing to look at what I could come up with and would
then make a decision.

What I would like from the FML community is advice on what should be
included in this information packet.  I am willing to type up anything
that is provided.  I would also like anyone here who is qualified to write
on this subject to provide information and permission to distribute that
information.  If this works, there are several other pet shops in the area
that can be included in this campaign! :)

Todd and that (Don't tell them we steal stuff!) Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

---
"users.success.net/toddl/"