From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 13:35:37 -0400
Hi Josephine

I'm very sorry to hear that your Dumpy is ill with insulinoma.  Having not
experienced this disease firsthand, I can't offer any personal anecdotes,
but I'd like to direct you to a few good resources.  Of course, be sure to
check out the Insulinoma FAQ at
http://www.ferretcentral.org/faq/med/insulin.html.

The South Florida Ferret Club and Shelter offers a wonderful page of
information about both Adrenal Disease and Insulinoma.  It is available at
http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC/.

You may also wish to join the Ferret Adrenal and Insulinoma Mailing List.
To do so, send a request to [log in to unmask]

I might also suggest a visit to another ferret-knowledgeable vet and/or
have your vet consult with another vet.  It is possible that Dumpy has
another problem in conjunction with insulinoma.  Consider possible
gastrointestinal problems like ulcers or colitis.  On another note, did
Dumpy eat Kaytee before you adopted him?  If not, it's possible that he
simply doesn't like the Kaytee food and isn't eating it as a result.  As
you probably know, ferrets don't always switch foods very willingly.  For
that matter, Kaytee isn't a very good quality food, and it might help if
you could encourage him to eat something better like Totally Ferret or
Eukanuba Kitten.  Feeding him Bob's Gravy is a wonderful approach, and it
will no doubt help quite a bit.

I hope that I've offered a few useful suggestions, and I wish both of you
the best of luck.

Happy Ferreting!
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets
Visit the Sage Ferrets web site
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/1122

Sometimes I think I would like to be named the 'Prince of Weasels.' As the
Prince of Weasels, I would sneak up behind people and bite them.  Then they
would turn around and say, "What the... Oh, it's just you, the Prince of
Weasels." ...Jack Handey