From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 05:18:18 -0500
Q:"...It occurred to me while I was hauling three ferrets to the vet this
morning....that these obligate carnivores are being fed enormous amounts
of starches, as are two other popular meat-eaters, dogs and cats.  I am
wondering whether there hasn't been an upsurge in insulin-related diseases
for all these animals....Have you heard anything along these lines?"

A: What lines?  Telephone lines?  Lines of communication?  Punch lines?
Pickup lines?  Bee lines?  Line drives?  Ferrets are fine, so I walk the
line....I ain't line-in.  I should be lined up against a wall...

Insulinoma (or insuloma) is caused by pancreatic tumors (also known as
insulin-secreting pancreatic islet cell tumor, functional islet cell tumor,
pancreatic beta-cell tumor, Islet of Langerhans B-cell tumor, pancreatic
endocrine tumor) that commonly result in hyperinsulinemia; that is, a
condition where there is too much insulin in the blood system.  These
tumors can occur after about 2 years of age, but most often about 5 years
of age.  It often seems to effect males more than females.  It is reported
to be uncommon in Australia, New Zealand and Europe.  And if a comparison
between the 1st and 2nd editions of Fox's book on the biology of the ferret
is an indication, it is on the rise in the USA.

Insulin is a hormone required for the body's regulation of blood sugars
(glucose), and is a primary agent in the regulation of blood sugar levels.
Make too little insulin, and you cannot metabolize glucose; you have
diabetes.  Make too much insulin, and you cannot maintain blood sugar:
you have insulinoma.  Its that simple.  Insulinoma has been reported in
dogs, pigs, mice, rats, cats, monkeys, and is common in humans....it is
theoretically possible in any mammal having a pancreas, although, since
most are wild and hypoglycemia would be a death sentence in nature, it is
rarely observed outside of captive animals.

Because the evolutionary path of each species is different, direct
comparisons of specific diseases in terms of causality may not be possible.
Dogs are not primary carnivores and can eat a diet far more veggie-based
than ferrets or cats.  Cats are primary carnivores, but has a slightly
different intestinal tract, with a clear distinction between the small and
large intestines.  Ferrets and cats may have a similar digestive tract and
metabolism, but ferrets may still be more prone to different diseases
because it evolved differently.  So, environmental factors which affect one
may not cause problems in the other.  A starch-based diet in cats may not
cause a problem, while the same diet in ferrets may cause one.  There are
literally hundreds of examples of this in the real world, the most obvious
being diabetes in humans, which tracks to ethnic background and diet.
Insulinoma in dogs or cats may have increased on a kibble based diet, but I
can find no solid evidence it has.

End of part 1. Part 2 follows.  [tomorrow.  BIG]

Bob C and 19 MO' Primary Poopivores