From:
Bunny Kaldor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:02:21 EST
Hi everyone!
This is my first time posting to the FML although I've been reading for
awhile.I wanted to write in response to some of the letters that have been
"flaming" PETCO lately.  Although I don't condone buying an animal at a pet
store,that was how I got my first ferret when they were still illegal to
possess here in Columbus,Ohio.  I had to go out of Franklin County to get
her because I had no idea where to find a breeder much less contact one.
This was almost four years ago and of course anyone who owned a ferret
stayed "underground".

Anyway, I wanted to share our experiences with PETCO here in Columbus.
Ferrets became legal in Franklin County in Aug. 97 and in Columbus in Nov
97.Scarlett Gray and I knew at that point the pet stores would begin
selling MF ferrets so we put together a care pamphlet with all kinds of
information about the little fuzzbutts.Scarlett(bless her heart) paid to
have these printed out of her own pocket and we proceeded to visit all the
pet stores in the area that were going to be selling them.  Do you know
where we got the most courteous and enthusiastic response from the store
managers?  PETCO!!!!  They were THRILLED that there was a ferret community
out there and not because of selling ferrets but because they knew if
people had questions or problems there was someone there to help with
advice.

There are three stores here in town and we have done "ferret awareness
days" at all of them.They invited us to be at their GRAND RE-OPENING and
have told us that everytime the club(Heart of Ohio Ferret Assoc) has been
in each store that we have attracted the biggest interest.  More than any
other group!!!!  Why are they so receptive to us?  Because we offered them
help when they knew they were in over their heads .We try to steer them
gently in the right direction concerning the care of the ferrets but at
the same time many of the problems we have pointed out,the managers hands
are tied because of "company policy".  They have utilized many of our
suggestions and have even called for advice on handling some really ornery
kits.  PETCO has donated many,many items for our club raffles and always
has time for the ferret community here in Columbus.  They've even referred
people to us who don't want to "buy from a pet store".  I'm sure there are
managers out there that have not been so receptive to other ferret owners
but you can't go into a store on the "war path" and expect to be taken
seriously.  That's puts anyone immediately on the defense and they no
longer hear what you say.  I'm sure there are pet stores that don't treat
the animals right but let's not condemn PETCO for everyone's short -comings.

The only pet store chain that has not been receptive to our club has been
PETLAND who told us,"We don't need any information from you;we know all we
need to know to care for them properly." Shoot!!!  I've ferrets for over
four years and am constanly learning new and better ways to take care of
them not to mention medical happenings.

I'm probably going to get "flamed" for this but I just wanted to let
everyone know how wonderful PETCO in Columbus has been and not to let a
few bad apples spoil the whole barrel.

Bunny