Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 19:02:33 EDT
From:
Hello everyone,

Today I received a copy of a terrific analysis for our bill AB 854 in the
Senate Policy Committee, Senate Natural Resources and Wildlife.

I don't know if this is available on the web anywhere yet, but in part it
says:

"In the past, Fish and Game has refused to take the domestic (this word is
underlined in the analysis) ferret off the list of wild (also underlined)
animals which are illegal to import into California.  Officials cite a
number of reasons.  However, opponents have brought evidence to the
committee showing the Department is misinformed on most of the objections
to the critters.  Right now, domestic ferrets are legal in 48 states.
There are no proven examples of domestic ferrets surviving in the wild.
THe animals are not especially vicous, with a very low incidence of ferret
bites as compared to cat or dog bites."

"However, ferret opponents are rabid in their opposition, saying the
animals will threaten native bird populations.  The most common analogy
used is the introuduction of wild European ferrets into the environment in
New Zealand, more than one hundred years ago (another comparison is to the
mongoose in Hawaii).  Supporters of amnesty say the ferret at issue is a
completely different animal, with a number of scientific studies agreeing
that Mustela furo is a domesticated animal with very little ability to
survive in the wild more than a few days."

"Of the reams of information provided to the committee, it appears that
science favors amnesty.... This bill may strike a balance between the two
sides, allowing existing pets to stay, while mandating a comprehensive
study of the issue."

Pretty excellent!

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization