Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:39:07 -0400
From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
>Does anyone have any experience with severely overweight ferrets?  And how
>much should his feedings be limited to?  Could his obesity be sign of
>another underlying problem?

I recently read the neatest way to deal with this.  You separate the
animal, measure his food, and let him eat like he normally does.  Then you
measure it again to see how much he ate.  Next time you feed him you give
him just a tiny bit less.  Check him after a couple weeks and see how it's
going.  You want the loss to be very slow but steady.  Adjust amount
accordingly.

This was from a cat pamphlet, but it would work for ferrets, too.  You'll
just have to make sure he can't get to anyone else's food while he's out
playing.  It sounds like a pain (separating him) but it ought to work.

Let me know what you do and how it works -- I have a fat adult female I've
been watching.  I already have 4 cages in my livingroom, though, and not
real thrilled about setting up another just for her.  *sigh*

--Barb--