Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 05:28:20 -0400
From:
Otter Driver <[log in to unmask]>
Forgive me for being a little maudlin, but it's 5:18 am, I got off work
an hour ago, and I'm kind of twitchy.  I just had to ask... am I alone in
being terrified and disturbed by the apparent fact that an overwhelming
majority of the people keeping ferrets seem to have no business doing so?
Am I just getting the percentages wrong?  For every person I meet like the
nice people on the FML, I run into or hear about ten who keep their ferrets
in barbarous conditions, mistreat them, abandon them, kill them... they
slap them around when they don't act like trained dogs, they keep them in
tiny cages, you've heard it all too.  I'm not Sensitive Guy by any stretch
of the imagination.  Far from it... in fact, very damned little fazes me
anymore.  But I have a lot of trouble not freaking out about this.  Someone
tell me I'm doing the math wrong, that most of the ferrets I see crammed
into cages at pet stores or being bought for "cute" value are going to end
up being well-treated and loved, because it seriously messes me up to think
otherwise.  Either that, or tell me what helps you deal with it.  Every
time I look at my furry kid, I get a pang because I don't think one in a
dozen ferrets is getting the same chance at a happy life he is. =(  Anyway,
that's it.  Had to vent about this or I was going to go nuts.  Hopefully
I'm not the only person who loses sleep over what seems to the
non-ferret-owned population to be a trivial matter.

Otter Driver