Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:19:36 EDT
[Moderator's note: Ummm, not really paid.  At least not to me :-)  BIG]

Please accept a warm thank you for all of you who wrote to me about Mary
Van Dahm and Alicia.  What can I say?  You are all correct.  They are
wonderful, and the ferret community should consider them blessings AND
women who have formed shelters that need our financial support.

Donations for the 50 some sick ferrets that Mary took home to care for
rather than euthanize, should be sent to; FAIR, P.O. Box 952, Westmont,
Il. 60559.  For $15 a year, you can be a member, and receive the news
letters..  Or for $5 a month, you can pick a ferret to foster.  What a
great present for your children or grandchildren, nieces and nephews: to
sponsor a ferret.  Everyone in my family gets a yearly newsletter even
though they don't care for ferrets.  It helps them learn about what I love,
why I spend so much time with mine, [and about how expensive ferrets can
be.] The newsletter comes out every two months.  I give at least $50 every
two months plus the presents and my own membership.

I make very little money.  So I put a jar in the foyer and deposit a dollar
of change or more every day.  I cash this in, and write out a check every
two months to my local shelter F.A.I.R. for at least $50.00.  I also
support another ferret shelter, and a local animal shelter, and
organization that takes in feral cats.

Lots of places to donate.  People ask all the time at the office, or come
up to my car, or wait outside a store.  i give them absolutely nothing.  I
have no idea where my precious few cents are going.  Animal research that
involves ferrets, and dogs?  In some ones pocket?

At F.A.I.R. i know where my money is going.  Mary and her husband have
converted their home to care for 50 some ferts that are never leaving
there.  The duck soups, medicines, vet bills: Can you imagine??

Every one on this list should be giving to their local shelters.  Go check
them out.  Volunteer.  Take in a shelter ferret if you know you can be a
good , responsible owner.

What happens if your family is in a car accident, or you die?  Your family
and friends may decide they can't handle the ferrets.  They are too old to
find a home.  Or no one responsible wants them.  Where will your babies
go???

If we aren't all supporting our local shelters, they are going to have to
close down.  And many ARE closing down.There may be no one to save your
fur babies from euthanasia or a life stuck in a small cage all alone in a
basement---or much, much worse.

When are YOU going to write out that check to your local animal shelter???
How about right this minute?

[This has been a paid public announcement by all the homeless ferrets yet
to be]