From:
"Thomas W. Kemper, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 16:24:07 -0500
BIG, I don't know if you want to post this or not.
[Moderator's note: OK, let's clarify the previous post.  And also note
that though it wasn't meant specifically for ferrets, they can indeed be
affected by the commissioner's statement.  BIG]

I live in a neighboring county to Smith county (Gregg County), and heard
the county commissioner in question live when he made the statement.  He
spoke off the cuff, and was referring specifically to dogs and cats whose
owners permit to run wild, and generally invade other's property.  He said
initially that these animals should be shot; that's what he would do.  Then
he added that if shooting wasn't an option, just put a bowl of antifreeze
out and let them drink it and poison themselves.

Well, you can imagine the outrage over his comments!  He was NOT referring
to all animals in general, only those who run wild, but you're right, if
some unfortunate ferret escaped and happened to wander up on someone's
porch seeking shelter, and this man was taken seriously.....the result
would be bad.  After the outpouring of sentiment over having this county
commissioner undergo the same fate as he was proposing (or words to that
effect), he went on television the next night and publically apologized
for his admitted inappropriate comments.  He spoke out of school.  He
apologized.  Nuff said!  However we would all be much wiser if we
understood that in this part of the country much sentiment exists similar
to what this man vocalized.  Protect your ferrets and other animals from
escape.  They need us as much as we love them.  If we all spent more time
educating pet shop owners, and maybe spending $20 to have some business
cards printed for these pet vendors to give out along with any ferret sold,
maybe we could reach more people who buy without realizing the care our
fuzzies require and deserve.  We might also find out about more unwanted
ferrets before they're abandoned on a roadside, or like one I was informed
of recently who was just let out on a January night because the young man
who owned it was tired of cleaning up after him.

Tuck Kemper

Proudly owned by Major Burns (Ferret Face), and Scooter, (the dook of
Earl), and Widget (the "what's a litter box?" renegade)