From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:34:04 -0400
I'd like to start a discussion of what aspects of ferrets most intrigue the
members of the FML.

To understand some of the ones which have always and probably always will
amaze me, you'll need to know that my background involved interacting with
and working with a wide range of animals.

One of the things which gets me is that of the animals I've known ferrets
are right up there with many primates for variations in personalities.  One
example is the blaze boy on Metro Pets cable show; he's so very different
from so many of the reports here over the years.  He wanders around freely
during the show -- climbing over and bumping with prairie dogs, chinchillas,
parrots, loraketts (sp?), cockatoos, rabbits of many shapes and forms,
cats, and dogs, etc.  They are all obviously very used to each other and
very calm for the half hour.  (They tend to have maybe 15 to 20
free-roaming animals through the show and a number of contained ones.) The
finches, fish, mice, hamsters, and others which are small are typically in
cages.  If that were our Jumpstart I guaranty he'd try hunting something
to make it squeak -- well, at least that's my best guess from some other
behaviors of his since we don't have other critters here.  What the others'
kitchen to find her ferret carefully taking out pieces of food and placing
them beside herself.  When she looked to the ferret's side the furry had
adopted a house mouse and was carefully feeding it, yet, other ferrets kill
and taste them on first sight.

Just looking a few of the behaviors of the ones we share life with now:
Meeteetse is hyper but completely trusting of people; she's not the
brightest bulb on the block but she'd never hurt anybody.  She comes when
called if she's awake and likes to beg, plus she tries to be a crowd
pleaser, and just isn't one to try to trick us.  Warp is shy with males.
She's more curious than Meeteetse, more insecure, too.  She forms a few
extremely tight bonds instead of wooing everyone, and will not play up for
treats.  Like Meeteetse she seems to be more influenced by the past than
others.  (A vet once said us that cats live in the past enough that they
remember and resent animal hospitals, dogs live enough in the present
enough that you get forgiven, and ferrets are so busy looking forward to
whatever comes next that they don't worry much.) Jumpstart is the shyest
ferret we have ever personally known and he likes being on the bottom of
the hierarchy.  He's probably about as smart as Warp, and he engages in a
lot of hunting behaviors.  He absolutely loves fooling the humans and pays
more attention to strangers than to his family.  Ashling is very smart,
very curious, very adventurous -- okay, exceedingly adventurous.  She's
also head-strong -- as stubborn as you'd ever want to encounter.  She forms
a few tight bonds but will play up to others if she thinks there might be a
treat in doing so.  She and Glueball are marvelous with words but Ashling
will ignore your call when Glueball won't.  Scooter is just as stubborn as
Ashling but he's very stupid.  He has a tendency to get overly excited and
will then nip -- which can turn into a bite if anyone raises a voice to
him, but for a soft voice he will calm down and be fine.  He's as cuddly a
mug as you can imagine.  He and Ashling are dedicated to each other and
will both willingly get in trouble if means helping the other -- though
that is starting to decrease.  Glueball has real trouble with interpersonal
relationships with other ferrets and she is a crybaby.  She's very smart
and can be very manipulative at times.  To humans she always makes up if
she's caught at that, but to ferrets she won't.  We've also had ferrets who
liked figuring out mechanical puzzles, one who could never stand to see a
child unhappy -- had to do tricks and kiss till the child was okay, one who
was like a beagle in a ferret coat in personality, etc., etc.  They vary
all over the place which is just a marvelous and very intriguing thing.
I'll bet you know EXACTLY which ones of your furries will be the one to
find a new escape route, which one will climb into weird places, which one
will try foods more quickly and why (some to please, some because they
trust you so fully, some for adventure), etc.

Then there is their playfullness...

Sukie

So, what's your attractant?